LEET SPEAK, Quik Silver, and the like

evilhomer
Fledgling Forumer
ID: 0

LEET SPEAK, Quik Silver, and the like

Ok, so, for those that dont know, Leet speak is a multi with quick silver, who have robbed several people of thier UU. I have kicked Leet out of the TA and sent the alliance as a whole against both Leet SPeak, Quick Silver, and any of thier respective officers and commanders. I would urge others to do the same, make thier game playing experience here miserable.
Bad Wolf
The Man Behind the Curtain
Race: System Lord

thanks for the info
CrimsonFrost
Forum Regular

I wonder how long we are going to have to endure this.. This guy can simply change his user name over and over for as long as he wants and keep scamming people. No one will know until he is gone, and the IP wont be banned because other decent players happen to use the same IP. :x
Setesh
Lord of the Abyss
ID: 89014

CrimsonFrost wrote:I wonder how long we are going to have to endure this.. This guy can simply change his user name over and over for as long as he wants and keep scamming people. No one will know until he is gone, and the IP wont be banned because other decent players happen to use the same IP. :x

And thats why we have his unique user ID
[00:52:43] chacho67430: Di... setesh says thanks
[00:53:03] DeathIncarnator: someone kill setesh
Extremer wrote:I shall Enter TheLion
[4:54:59 PM] robert_paul97: (gay)
[4:55:08 PM] robert_paul97: (gaypartty)
[4:55:14 PM] robert_paul97: not work
Sniping_Viper_1
Forum Newbie

the issue with tying accounts to ip address is that most ISP's use a Dynamic Host Configuration Protocal to assigne a ip address for a given amount of time. thus i can have the same ip address as the guy up the street did the week before. Also if someone at work is playing and sets their account up at work they are using the same ip address. I firmly belive that forum should investigate a way to tie accounts to NIC mac address. not to modem mac cause that directly affect familes not that ip address doesn't. i will also be looking into it as i see most of this is run in php it should be to difficult to research
Cmdrproger-Reborn
Forum Grunt

I'm sure the paranoid among us, including myself, would reject this offer post-haste. Why would we let ourselves be identifiable over the net? This is in my terms a security breach, but thats because I'm nuts when it comes to administering my computer. Besides, what happens when people goto libraries instead of their homes, or have more than one NIC installed, or have a box of NICs handy, like a precaucious system admin:D. The proposal dies before it lifts off the ground, simply because that forces everyone to use the computer they first created the account on, and only one account can be tied to a computer.
CrimsonFrost
Forum Regular

That would be true except the problem account is tied to an IP that is static, a school router, so DHCP is a non-issue. That also makes MAC a non-issue as well, because the web site will only get the MAC address of the school router.

Cmdrproger-Reborn you are mistaken. Im not advocating that someone "personally identify" anyone. Im reccomending that a player that consistantly cheats from a particular IP address should have that IP banned. That doesnt identify him in any way. Banning IP address is a pretty routine thing nowadays if you look around at all in the computer world. :wink: And besides, having 1,000 NIC's wont change your IP address when you log online. :wink: Although im not sure why a "cautious system admin" would have a ton of NIC cards laying around, lol. (Perhaps a Help Desk, like where I work.) You arent forced to use an IP forever, you are simply prevented from using one IP if you cheat from it.

On a last note, I didnt think about the unique user ID being used.. Thanks for mentioning that Setesh. :-)
Cmdrproger-Reborn
Forum Grunt

I'm not talking about IPs I'm talking about MACs, assuming you are Sniping. BTW I'm never mistaken :D. Having "Cmdrproger-Reborn = 67:0D:56:EB:4A (randomly made up)" somewhere on forum's database does personally identify me. "I firmly belive that forum should investigate a way to tie accounts to NIC mac address". Having one NIC to an account limits the game severely, just as I said. IP banning does jack squat, and if you don't believe me then get it implemented. I never said NICs = changing IP addresses, NICs = having different MACs, which makes banning MACs pointless. Changing IP is simple in terms of programming, and simpler if you don't have a direct connection, and then theres always proxies. I have extra NICs so I have different MACs, and to quickly replace a NIC when it becomes useless.
CrimsonFrost
Forum Regular

Never mistaken? Right. :wink:

Let me repeat again that I didnt advocate tying MAC address at all. You are preaching to the choir. Read a little more into the earlier posts, and you will notice that I didnt suggest that. :-) I simply said that changing NICs or MAC Address wont change your IP address, which it still will not. And I dont think changing IP's is particularly easy when you connect to the net, because its your host that is assigning you your IP, not yourself. Im not sure what kind of programming would allow you to do that, because in that case you could easily program yourself 100 multi accounts and never get caught because you could simply program yourself a new IP each time you want, and the auto-cheat check would never catch you :lol:

On a final note, IP banning actually does quite a bit. If you feel that strongly about IP banning, you unfortuantly have multiple industries that disagree with you, and that have fully implemented IP banning :lol: :) The military being a prime example, (I worked at the NOC on the USS Bataan, my last command :-) ) and well... If you are right, then the makers of Peerguardian are out of a job too :cry:
Cmdrproger-Reborn
Forum Grunt

And let me repeat that I thought you were Sniping, and as such thats why I responded the way I did. And again I never said that changing NICs will change your IP address. If you'd like I could try and dig up some old code that would do the trick, its not "easy enough" or feasable to do it 100 times, but its dooable... although since you were with the US Navy then I have no business with you at all. Oh and, good for the US military about implementing IP banning, although they've never gone to war with me... yet :D.
Setesh
Lord of the Abyss
ID: 89014

When did the SGW forums become a nerd fest?
[00:52:43] chacho67430: Di... setesh says thanks
[00:53:03] DeathIncarnator: someone kill setesh
Extremer wrote:I shall Enter TheLion
[4:54:59 PM] robert_paul97: (gay)
[4:55:08 PM] robert_paul97: (gaypartty)
[4:55:14 PM] robert_paul97: not work
Cmdrproger-Reborn
Forum Grunt

Since it took a nerd show and turned it into a nerd game, and provided a nerd forum SGW to talk on.
Rukia
Forum Elite

so anyone wanna talk XML too?
Rukia previously known as Shizune

Sode no Shirayuki! Hakuren!

"Those who abandon their friends are worse than trash" - Uchiha Obito

*does Kuroigakure no justu and vanishes*

Cmdrproger-Reborn
Forum Grunt

sounds like fun
Setesh