Problem with ascended web page.

cyberblade
Forum Regular
Alliance: Pi Allegiance

Problem with ascended web page.

Ok-a bit weird, so I figured I'd post it here. When I log in to ascended from my main box, then try to train planets, convert dmu to lf cache, etc-it normally hangs. It will just sit there, and not do anything. Trying to go back to the main page won't work, even after I clear browser cache, cookies, and authenticated sessions. After a while I'll be able to log back in-and sometimes my action will have processed, sometimes it wont have. This is only on ascended-not with main, and it only happens on my Ubuntu machine-not with XP Pro, or Server 2003...

So-what scripting/coding is there on ascended that is different from main, and that affects Firefox under Ubuntu? Any suggestions?

System Setup:
Desktop: Gnome, 2.20.1
Browser: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.8.1.12) Gecko/20080207 Ubuntu/7.10 (gutsy) Firefox/2.0.0.12
saluki2002
Forum Newbie

Re: Problem with ascended web page.

I have had a similar problem for quite sometime, but usually mine only happens when i am trying to powerup. I'll click on upgrade, it says it is loading and just keeps saying so. It's not a problem with my net access b/c when that happens firefox brings up a page saying the load timed out and this doesn't happen. It doesn't happen all the time, some times i can log onto ascended and do a bunch of powerups no problem, other times the first one and it freezes. Like you said, i have never had this happen on main or quantum or any other site for that matter.
cyberblade
Forum Regular

thanks, its nice to know I'm not the only one. So now that we know it's a problem maybe admin can look into it...

I'm more than happy to help in any way possible (though I doubt admin would let my look at the code) :P but I'd be happy to test extensively after each change, or do anything else
Lore
Fountain of Wisdom
Alliance: The Dark Dominium Empire
Race: System Lord / AJNA
ID: 1928117

Honours and Awards

I also experiance this problem from time to time.
schuesseled wrote:And Yes, If someone attacked me with a knife and I had a cannon I would shoot them with it.
Age old saying that, "Dont bring a knife to a gun fight"
Reason, youll get dead.
dyslexic622
Forum Grunt
ID: 29189

I only used Linux (Gusty Gibbons, like you) for a short time but i experienced the same problem as saluki....everything worked fine except for the power-ups although i did have a slight delay when buying weapons (but it was doable) the power-ups took minutes to do instead of seconds like the buying weapons
ID: 29189
MSN: sukole@rpi.edu
AIM: dyslexic622
http://www.deckreations.com
cyberblade
Forum Regular

Ok-so it is a problem. I'm not sure why though... Can admin please look at this? It's annoying to have to remote an XP box whenever I want to do things on ascended...
saluki2002
Forum Newbie

Any answers to this problem?
cyberblade
Forum Regular

none yet-and its still a problem.
chargin
Forum Intermediate
ID: 0

happens to me too. I just log in with a different browser and cross off the old one.

I say smart things so people don't realize how dumb i am.
cyberblade
Forum Regular

chargin wrote:happens to me too. I just log in with a different browser and cross off the old one.

which browser do you use? it doesn't work in Firefox for me-which is the browser admin says to use... I suppose I could try Mozilla. It works with firefox under XP though-so the issue seems to be with the OS...
chargin
Forum Intermediate
ID: 0

i use IE when Fire fox fails.

I say smart things so people don't realize how dumb i am.
cyberblade
Forum Regular

I'm not ruining my Ubuntu install by trying to get IE to run with WINE...

I've never had the problem with firefox under xp-and thats all I use (for gaming purposes anyway).
cyberblade
Forum Regular

any luck with this bug? it is still a problem!

or, any linux users found a way around this issue? rebooting my machine just to log into ascended gets very annoying...
darkness5723
Forum Regular
Alliance: Ascended Generations
Race: The Faceless
ID: 5741

Actually. I dual-boot Ubuntu and Windows, but used Ubuntu exclusively for a year or so (linux apps are so awesome)...

at any rate, I used fiesty and gutsy. I never EVER had a problem with ascended. And I used ALL the browsers. FireFox,IceWeasel, SwiftWeasel (yea I know they're the same), Opera,etc.... never had a problem. Opera did run kinda sheisty under Ubuntu, but I blame the Opera devs.

The only thing I can think of that would cause that issue is your phplibs being out of date, or a browser cache issue. A friend of mine had this same exact problem however on a MAC. He said updating to the latest version of Opera fixed it for him.

Perhaps some more info about your box would help? Other than that I honestly have no clue.

(P.S linux rules :))
cyberblade
Forum Regular

Ok... So it's been a while.

I'm now having these problems on my Mac (Not that they were resolved for Linux)... New job, new machine-and both Firefox 3 and Safari (Gecko and Webkit respectively) hang when doing powerups, and sometimes lag badly when doing other things.

When I do the same things in the same version of Firefox that's running in my XP VM it works fine. The only solution I have for OS X is to delete cookies/cache/authenticated sessions, then i log in again and am fine til the next time I try to do anything.

My system specs:
MacBook Pro 2.4GHz C2D, 4GB RAM
OS X 10.5.5

Browser info:

Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; Intel Mac OS X 10.5; en-US; rv:1.9.0.4) Gecko/2008102920 Firefox/3.0.4

Safari Version 3.2

Edit: Just in case anyone would think it could be a connectivity issue-I'm currently the only machine on a 10 Mb fiber circuit...

Return to “Ascended Bugs Archive”