Race: Blood Wyrm
ID: 15825

The end of war

Kieltyka
Forum Grunt
Race: Ancient
ID: 0

Re: The end of war

MetalStorm is old news, and probably not. Most likely other countries will get their hands on this technology, possibly terrorist and then the casualty rate will just increase.
"If the coordinates are for a Goa'uld world which is not on the Abydos cartouche, the Goa'uld will most likely not expect us. I believe a medical attack could be successful." -Teal'c
Thriller
Forum Addict
Alliance: Π Allegiance
Race: Replimecator

yah its old news and they haven't really perfected it yet
Spoiler
Universe wrote:You don't have a case, as Lord Thriller clearly explained.
MajorLeeHurts wrote:^ stole the car and my Booze and my heart * sobs*
Jack wrote: Just wanna be more like you, Master Thriller. :-D
amandakerk
Forum Grunt
Alliance: DoO
ID: 72429

ditto, weapon systems like this are already in place on US aircraft carriers to defend them against incoming enemy aircraft and missiles. plus reload time on theses weapons is a B**** because the entire weapon has to be dismantled in order reload. although the idea is sound it still requires to work.

oh and thx for starting an intelligent conversation about weapons :D
Image Image
cloak
Forum Irregular
Alliance: The Collective
Race: Blood Wyrm
ID: 15825

amandakerk wrote:ditto, weapon systems like this are already in place on US aircraft carriers to defend them against incoming enemy aircraft and missiles. plus reload time on theses weapons is a B**** because the entire weapon has to be dismantled in order reload. although the idea is sound it still requires to work.

oh and thx for starting an intelligent conversation about weapons :D

The weapon on a ship which you are talking about is "the goal keeper" and it in no way works like metalstorm...The goal keeper is a more hardcore version of the miniguns one finds mounted in the windows of a BlackHawk chopper or on the side rails of a littlebird chopper or the lesser spotted Vulcan MiniGun, it is magazine fed and it fires through 4 or 5 barrels depending on the model using a normal firing method ie normal hammer onto butt into prima! Yes the GK is automated but that is really its only similarity to metalstorm! Yes it may be old news but still! And its a pleasure!

Kieltyka wrote:MetalStorm is old news, and probably not. Most likely other countries will get their hands on this technology, possibly terrorist and then the casualty rate will just increase

No doubt it would happen but if you see my 1st post, I said "the end of war using troops", not just The end of war completely! Why would one sacrafice lives when machines could do it for you! They did develop the automated chopper and strapped the metalstorm 40mm grenade luancher to it and the tests were successful!
Kieltyka
Forum Grunt

cloak wrote:No doubt it would happen but if you see my 1st post, I said "the end of war using troops", not just The end of war completely!

Most likely Metalstorm's weapons will be used for tactical use.

They did develop the automated chopper and strapped the metalstorm 40mm grenade luancher to it and the tests were successful!

So I guess all the troops in Iraq can be replaced with automated helicopter with a hunk of terror strapped to it? Like I said, it seems like a tactical weapon.
"If the coordinates are for a Goa'uld world which is not on the Abydos cartouche, the Goa'uld will most likely not expect us. I believe a medical attack could be successful." -Teal'c
Kieltyka
Forum Grunt

cloak wrote:No doubt it would happen but if you see my 1st post, I said "the end of war using troops", not just The end of war completely!

Most likely Metalstorm's weapons will be used for tactical use.

They did develop the automated chopper and strapped the metalstorm 40mm grenade luancher to it and the tests were successful!

So I guess all the troops in Iraq can be replaced with automated helicopter with a hunk of terror strapped to it? Nah . . . like I said, most likely tactical use.
S0lid Snake
Fledgling Forumer
Race: Goa'uld

It never ceases to amaze me how man continues to out do himself with ways to kill another.

Strapping this stuff to autonomous machines is a serious cause for concern. With the network capabilities of these units, we are asking for trouble.

At least men have morals & feel compassion, these machines won't.

This is a step towards the first army of a possible future technocracy.

Personal I think we should put these toys back in their boxes, at least for now anyways.
{The Legion Of Outer Haven}
Demeisen
Forum Intermediate

i agree, within reason. i think there should be many robots but only if a human controls them. having automated attack weapons systems would be stupid. anything unnatural, yet clever enough to think, shouldnt be given a gun.

seen terminator?
seen the matrix?
seen i 2001: A Space Odyssey?
seen i robot?

this is proven to end badly lol

and about MetalStorm:
it has potential( or something similar). i dont think it is good enough to be a major part of the future battlefield. lasers however will be massive. and sooner than you would think. . .
Kieltyka
Forum Grunt

LiQuiD wrote:. . . having automated attack weapons systems would be stupid. anything unnatural, yet clever enough to think, shouldnt be given a gun.

You're thinking about artificial intelligence, where it has the ability to think, learn, and evolve.
xXxsephirothxXx
One Winged Angel
Alliance: [DxM]
Race: Ancients
ID: 1918259

Anyone seen the movie stealth? prolly the more suited example but yeah machines dont have emotion and better judgement and this is really something a soldier needs. Only use for something like this would be tactical.
Pain and Death is the cost of Fun! ~Zaraki Kenpachi 8)
Talking as a Mod
Demeisen
Forum Intermediate

yep. if anything is smart enough to think for itself ill get worried if its put in control of weapons. a person can always deviate from plans. a machine jus does as its told, regardless. and a really smart AI could come up with its own plans :(

stealth is fun. decided not to take it too seriously from the start so i enjoyed it as fiction, not documentary :-D
semper
The sharp-tongued devil you can't seem to forget...
Race: God

i saw these things years ago...the gun that can fire a million shots a minute.

What can we say really? Just advancing weapons...I cant wait for light sabres and laser guns and the discovery of midichlorians in my blood.

Not the end of war by any means though....

we have weapons that can destroy entire continents, vehicles capable of levelling buildings but yet their are still wars...
Accolades/Titles:
Spoiler
Started Playing: April 2005
Honours (5): Hall of Fame 2009. Annual Awards Host 2008, 2009, 2013, 2014 and 2015.
Winner (12): RP'er of the Year 2008, Runner Up Poster of the Year 2008, Debater of the Year 2008, War of the Year 2008, Poster of the Year 2009, Alliance of the Year 2009 (Nemesis Sect, Creator), Alliance War of the Year 2009 (Nempire vs Mayhem, Instigator), RP'er Runner Up 2009, Knew You'd Be Back 2010, Conflict of the Decade (FUALL v TF), Conflict of the Decade Runner Up (Ga vs TF), Alliance of the Decade (TDD).
Nominated (8): Writer of the year 2007, Avatar of the Year 2007, Poster of the Year 2007, Villain of the Year 2008, Player Sig 2008, Race Player of the Year 2009, Most Missed 2010, Alliance Leadership 2010, Most Missed 2011.
Commands (3): Supreme System Lord 2008, 2010, 2011 and 2012. System Lord Council 2006 - present. Dark Lord and Emperor of the Nempire 2009 - 2011.
Alliances (9): DDE, EA, OSL, TFUR, DDEII, AI, RM, WoB, Nemesis.
Forum Roles (4): Former Misc GM, Race Mod (Goa'uld), Debate forum patriarch and mod.
Dajjal
Forum Elder

I don't see how this could end any war. One of the comments said "and when the enemy sees this thing theyll be like "f*** we quit" lol."....

First its more defensive than offensive. Second, weapons could and would be made to counter it... And third, there have been many other weapons which I believe have had a better chance stopping wars such as the Nazi heavy tanks such as Tiger I and Tiger II and even the M1 Garand...
Made by Colton!
Stargater580
Phoenix Award for Epic Success, awarded Jan 21, 2009.
Kieltyka
Forum Grunt

The weapons that MetalStorm are working on can be used either way. Defensive or offensive, there's almost no boundaries for it. And I do not see how outdated weapons could end war all together. I do not see how any weapon could end war all together. Unless we're talking about the complete annihilation of the human race . . .

Return to “General intelligent discussion topics”