Found this jewel...

The Community's new book club where you can recommend and discuss your favourite novels to keep one busy during those boring hours of waiting to bank.
Eternal Usul
"Special Title"
Race: Goa'uld System Lord
ID: 19701
Alternate name(s): Xjba#1819(battle.net)
Eternal Usul(Steam)

Found this jewel...

One of Arthur C. Clarke's early short stories. Read it some time ago and I'm tickled to find it on the interwebz. :-D

Nothing quite like the classic authors... :lol:

Rescue Party

Anyone else have a favorite short they'd like to share?
"Arrakis teaches the attitude of the knife - chopping off what's incomplete and saying: "Now, it's complete because it's ended here."

-"Collected Sayings of Muad'dib"
Zeratul
Elder Administrator
Alliance: Lucian Alliance
Race: Templar
ID: 7
Alternate name(s): Hrefna
Reitha

Honours and Awards

Re: Found this jewel...

we'd like to share some of our favorite stuff, but what we consider short, most consider to be small books...
"Great holy armies shall be gathered and trained to fight all who embrace evil. In the name of the gods, Browsers shall be changed to carry the internet out amongst the peoples and we will spread Firefox to all the unbelievers. The power of the Firefox will be felt far and wide and the wicked users of IE shall be converted to use the true browsers."

Curious about our color? Feel free to ask...
Eternal Usul
"Special Title"
Eternal Usul(Steam)

Bah, we're all here because we like reading anyway. :razz:

Adding something new to my list...

Not sure how to classify it, as it's not actually an official "book." Rather, it is an inspiring example of what can happen when millions of monkeys get electronic typewriters...

Occasionally, one writes something worth reading.

This story follows events after Humanity recieves a message from "God" politely informing us that the gates of Heaven are closed...permanently...and the reign of Satan has begun. All humans are required to quietly lay down and die.

Many do.

This follows those who don't. It may offend the religious sensibilities of some, but I'm finding it an enjoyable read. Maybe it's just me, but the idea of a multi-national coalition of forces Curbstomping an army of demons is verrry gratifying.

It's long, easily novel length. I just finished the first page of the thread containing it, and there is much more to come...

Armageddon
"Arrakis teaches the attitude of the knife - chopping off what's incomplete and saying: "Now, it's complete because it's ended here."

Juliette
Verified
The Queen
Race: Royalty
ID: 4323
Alternate name(s): Cersei Lannister

Books in which humans 'stomp' demons and live to tell the tale are.. annoying to read. In my experience.
Ah well.. I guess everyone has their weakness in such regards.
Zeratul
Elder Administrator
Reitha

Honours and Awards

yes, but we consider 150 full-size PDF pages short...
"Great holy armies shall be gathered and trained to fight all who embrace evil. In the name of the gods, Browsers shall be changed to carry the internet out amongst the peoples and we will spread Firefox to all the unbelievers. The power of the Firefox will be felt far and wide and the wicked users of IE shall be converted to use the true browsers."

Eternal Usul
"Special Title"
Eternal Usul(Steam)

Offensive Bias wrote:Books in which humans 'stomp' demons and live to tell the tale are.. annoying to read. In my experience.
Ah well.. I guess everyone has their weakness in such regards.

Generally I agree, but this story manages to make it entertaining. At least, it entertained me at 4am...I'll find out if it's actually that good later when I start reading the rest.

I have to give the writer some props though, I think he nailed it with his portrayl of how a bronze age military would fare against a modern military...even if it was massive and composed of demons.

heh...meatgrinder... :sge

Juliette
Verified
The Queen
Race: Royalty
ID: 4323
Alternate name(s): Cersei Lannister

So it's a butchery massacre thing? *heart*

Zeratul wrote:yes, but we consider 150 full-size PDF pages short...
Probably because it is short..
And because you are using a big big font type. :P
Zeratul
Elder Administrator
Reitha

Honours and Awards

actually, we're using regular text size... text size cant be changed in PDFs... at least not easily...

Return to “The Book Club”