UK Census?

Kit-Fox
Forum Elite
Race: Tollan
ID: 0

UK Census?

Removed
Last edited by Kit-Fox on Fri Nov 18, 2011 9:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
The river tells no lies, yet standing at its shores the dishonest man still hears them

If you dont like what I post, then tough. Either dont read it or dont bother replying to it.
Jim
Pony Princess
Alliance: MaYHeM
Race: Asgard
ID: 45162
Alternate name(s): Bucephalus
Kishin

Re: UK Census?

Its fantastic. Great use as a historical source in many years. I only wish i could say the same for medieval sources im reading right now :mad:

But it should ask for more information, and more opinions! So in thousands of years time people can read that I like to play SGW!

Also, i put my religion as Winning. So dont listen to my opinion. Im a fool
Kit-Fox
Forum Elite

Removed
Last edited by Kit-Fox on Fri Nov 18, 2011 9:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
The river tells no lies, yet standing at its shores the dishonest man still hears them

If you dont like what I post, then tough. Either dont read it or dont bother replying to it.
[KMA]Avenger
Forum Zombie
Location: Borehamwood Elstree, England, 2 mins from George Lucas Studios.

On the one hand...I DO NOT APPROVE! :mad: On the other hand it's great...

I'll post something a bit more detailed explaining the above statement tomorrow :-)

Infinite Love Is the Only Truth: Everything Else Is Illusion.

-David Icke
Jim
Pony Princess
Alliance: MaYHeM
Race: Asgard
ID: 45162
Alternate name(s): Bucephalus
Kishin

Kit-Fox wrote:So not thinking its an outdated gross invasion of privacy then?

or a system that is woefully not fit for its stated purpose of working out funding for various facilities?

Nope, as a historian I very much approve of it.
Kit-Fox
Forum Elite

Removed
Last edited by Kit-Fox on Fri Nov 18, 2011 9:09 am, edited 4 times in total.

RepliMagni
Forum Addict
Alliance: Loner :P
Race: NanoTiMaster
ID: 1908448

Actually Jim, I think as an historical source, the census is almost singularly useless. Nothing specific whatsoever - some vague questions about general health, a little about qualifications, etc - it could be used for family reconstitutions but little else really. I'm currently looking at 16th century probate inventories - literally going around and valuing every item in a person's house. When added to parish registers and the person's will, they provide far more useful information than the census. The census is much more about local services and targets than anything else really.

I'm not saying I'm against the census, just that in general its pretty darn useless.
ƒëmmë ƒatalë
Fragment o' Forum
Race: SL temptress
ID: 38112
Alternate name(s): cleo_catra
temptress
seraphim

I don't know what current Census are like over there, but old ones as Jim said are great source of history.. especially for family history buffs.

Was a shame Australian Censuses got deleted previous to the last one, where ppl were giving option to have their info kept.
When I despair, I remember that all through history the ways of truth and love have always won.
There have been tyrants, and murderers, and for a time they can seem invincible, but in the end they always fall.
Think of it--always
Mahatma Gandhi
sixty five kills on Ascended ;)
The Forum Rules
Mods and their sections
Psyko
The Irresistible

While I am not a historian, I do find resources and knowledge like census information to be valuable to my family as we attempt to fill in our family tree. I think knowing who an ancestor was and what they did is something very valuable and I wish that more of my family had actually participated in the census so that my family and I could trace it back further than we have managed so far.

I'm not in the UK, so I cannot address privacy invasion concerns for the UK census, but the American census does not ask any question that I consider to be an invasion of my privacy. The same basic information can be found on my driver's license and is therefore already recorded in the Dept. of Motor Vehicles database. It's not an invasion of privacy at all.
愛美
Section Admin of
General and the GC
Jack
Evil Reincarnated
Alliance: The Empire
Race: Dragonborn
ID: 6475

Psyko wrote:I'm not in the UK, so I cannot address privacy invasion concerns for the UK census, but the American census does not ask any question that I consider to be an invasion of my privacy. The same basic information can be found on my driver's license and is therefore already recorded in the Dept. of Motor Vehicles database. It's not an invasion of privacy at all.

That is assuming you even have one and that all states collect the same information. The DMV database is for the state only and not freely available to the fed. It would be understandable to be okay with having that info available to the state and not the fed.

I don't know about your state, but the only info given to the DMV in Texas is your name, DoB, height, weight, eye color and hair color. Of course they want to verify your identity, which is usually done with a social security card and birth certificate.

The U.S. Census asks a lot more questions than that.

I'm not saying I'm against the census, but I'm also not saying that I support it. The census is optional as it should be. But I think that everyone should fill out the basic information requested. As doing so means that you will be represented fairly.
Ya'll acting like you know what monster is
Me have 25 years in the monster biz
All monsters think you can fuss with this
Well you can talk to me Snuffleupagus
Me sneak into your house, me leave before dawn
Your daughters will be pregnant and your cookies will be gone
Malx wrote:Make kids not cancer!
Kit-Fox
Forum Elite

Removed
Last edited by Kit-Fox on Fri Nov 18, 2011 9:09 am, edited 2 times in total.

Jack
Evil Reincarnated

Providing false info should be a crime. It should be optional though and you should be able to only fill out certain parts of it. Like how many people live with you and what their ages are.

Giving false information is basically fraud.
MEZZANINE
Forum Addict
Alliance: Forgotten Serenity
Race: System Lord
ID: 81691

Although the historical records are interesting the primary function of the Census is as a future planning tool, if used correctly the information is for forward planning for the needs of the people, how many school places will be needed in each area in 5 or 10 years time, how much hospital capacity, public transport, new housing and jobs for those who will leave education in the next few years.

Of course the ability of government, central and local to actually use the information correctly and meet the needs of the people is questionable at best, but the function of and need for a regular Census is clear.

As for the joke question 'Religion ?', personally I am undecided between one of two answers I want to put in

1) No thanks I had an education instead

or

2) Jedi ( the old favorite :-D )

Spoiler
Attack Mercs Killed (30) 459,329,001
Defence Mercs Killed (10) 2,918,478,517
Attack Soldiers Killed(60) 12,677,958
Defence Soldiers Killed(20) 226,236,488
Attack Super Soldiers Killed(300) 490,627,262
Defence Super Soldiers Killed(100) 4,131,482,551
Spies Killed(50) 4,256,505,842
Spy Killers Killed(50) 651,022,448
Mothership Weapons Destroyed(300) 35,583,034
Mothership Shields Destroyed(300) 39,498,511
Mothership Fleets Destroyed(200) 2,413,254
Planet Defences Destroyed(300) 358,539
Planets Taken(5000) 411
Naquadah Stolen(0.0001) 2,355,738,435,154,805
Untrained Kidnapped(50) 5,943,886,456
Weapon Points Destroyed (Sab+Att)(0.0001) 74,293,522,376,607
Attack Turns Used(1) 1,731,971
Kit-Fox
Forum Elite

Removed
Last edited by Kit-Fox on Fri Nov 18, 2011 9:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jack
Evil Reincarnated

MEZZANINE wrote:As for the joke question 'Religion ?', personally I am undecided between one of two answers I want to put in

1) No thanks I had an education instead

or

2) Jedi ( the old favorite :-D )

The Natzie Buddhist Church of Peace and Terror for me, thanks. vOv

Return to “General intelligent discussion topics”