Mods Being Voted By Users (Thats right You)!

want to publicly say something about the current Forum Mods? The Mod setup? The Rules of the Forum? here you go...
RoKeT
Forum Zombie
Race: The King Jaffa

Mods Being Voted By Users (Thats right You)!

As mentioned in the other thread, I was told to post it here and see what others think with it's own section... I think that's what he meant hehehehehe

The forums unfortunately are dying... yes I won't debate why or what or who's fault it's just a simple realization.

So as I mentioned in the other thread:

My suggestion is the appointment of Mods based on a vote by the community.

-It would be 3 to 4 Moderators, picked by the community, and voted on by them.

-There should be a new topic or sub-section created for the voting to take place.

-The time frame of the voting should be about a week or maybe two weeks. A shorter time period would show who is active on the forums, which is something required to be a Moderator. This short time period would also allow less time for people to just campaign around their friends for votes.

-Should only be 1 election Moderator per section, to limit the amount, and allow them to be easily watched. This is to make sure they are not simply biased or corrupt, and are really a good Mod. The Admins and Global Mods would be watching closely...

For those who say, "Well they will just be corrupt and bad." Well anyone can become or be corrupt, whether they are elected or voted on, so it's really not a factor.
Ex Mod
Looking for an Account?
Spoiler
I can find you one...
21 Accounts sold to Date
Spoiler
Duderanch
Internet Hero
Alliance: MaYHeM
Race: Ancient
ID: 58491

Re: Mods Being Voted By Users (Thats right You)!

Not a good idea IMO. The mod position would become as much a joke as the oms or awards. To win you just need the most friends or are in the biggest empire. Just look at current oms nominations for how it would play out.
The trade broker reports trade from Surtr to *Teesdale_ of 100,000,000 Naq for 33,000,000,000,000 Naq is complete.

Barbara! says: haha ok you can have a piece of my soul for 50bil naq

Skype= dan_P_@msn.com
Teesdale
[21:06:02] Jake/Tees: does black market work in there?
[21:06:18] robert: nah
[21:06:24] robert: uu go in miners
[21:06:24] Duderanch: Yeah Ben said did but can't untrin miners so no point
[21:06:37] Jake/Tees: sweet, so methlad not be able to fight back :D
[21:06:46] Jake/Tees: EADC
Naq sold in 2017 - 21q
Cole
Forum History
Alliance: Generations
Race: System Lord
ID: 7889
Alternate name(s): Legendary Apophis, Apophis The Great, Legendary

Not to mention that for awards the hosts tried to limit the issue of popularity contest within alliance/empire by stating "you cannot vote for your own empire/alliance", but then the problem was either people didn't vote or they just voted for allies lol. I say this as I believe the fact to not vote for mods within your alliance/empire might not work properly either.
Last edited by Cole on Sat Jun 04, 2011 8:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
RoKeT
Forum Zombie

Duderanch wrote:Not a good idea IMO. The mod position would become as much a joke as the oms or awards. To win you just need the most friends or are in the biggest empire. Just look at current oms nominations for how it would play out.

Yes look at them, it's what gave me the idea... Turkey would have won HANDS DOWN but he went to far with the Corrupt, and I just don't think he has much of a chance now, even with OE backing him... Also the Empires are no where near the size they were in the past, most Alliances are half the size of Empires now, the game doesn't allow it, the forum is so dead that popularity probably doesn't matter much either because really there are only I think 25-50 Seperate people that post daily... not much of a popularity contest there considering there will be only a small amount of people voting...
Ex Mod
Looking for an Account?
Spoiler
I can find you one...
21 Accounts sold to Date
Spoiler
Duderanch
Internet Hero
Alliance: MaYHeM
Race: Ancient
ID: 58491

Yes RoKeT, there may only be 50 people active everyday but that doesn't stop people getting 100 of their friends that used to be forum regulars (few hundred posts over a few years) to come and vote for them.
The trade broker reports trade from Surtr to *Teesdale_ of 100,000,000 Naq for 33,000,000,000,000 Naq is complete.

Barbara! says: haha ok you can have a piece of my soul for 50bil naq

Skype= dan_P_@msn.com
Teesdale
[21:06:02] Jake/Tees: does black market work in there?
[21:06:18] robert: nah
[21:06:24] robert: uu go in miners
[21:06:24] Duderanch: Yeah Ben said did but can't untrin miners so no point
[21:06:37] Jake/Tees: sweet, so methlad not be able to fight back :D
[21:06:46] Jake/Tees: EADC
Naq sold in 2017 - 21q
RoKeT
Forum Zombie

Duderanch wrote:Yes RoKeT, there may only be 50 people active everyday but that doesn't stop people getting 100 of their friends that used to be forum regulars (few hundred posts over a few years) to come and vote for them.

Simple, you make an exception you can only vote if you were active in the last month, as why should you vote if your not active on the forum and have no idea who is what on this forum?
Ex Mod
Looking for an Account?
Spoiler
I can find you one...
21 Accounts sold to Date
Spoiler
ƒëmmë ƒatalë
Fragment o' Forum
Race: SL temptress
ID: 38112
Alternate name(s): cleo_catra
temptress
seraphim

Duderanch wrote:Not a good idea IMO. The mod position would become as much a joke as the oms or awards. To win you just need the most friends or are in the biggest empire. Just look at current oms nominations for how it would play out.

+1

though most mods today seem to be part of the Jack msn group.. so there is already a precedence for it to a lesser extent
When I despair, I remember that all through history the ways of truth and love have always won.
There have been tyrants, and murderers, and for a time they can seem invincible, but in the end they always fall.
Think of it--always
Mahatma Gandhi
sixty five kills on Ascended ;)
The Forum Rules
Mods and their sections
Empy
Derper
Race: Eldar

He's not suggesting all Mods be voted on. He is only suggesting that 2 to 3 Mods, or perhaps 1 Mod per section, be voted on. I don't see a problem with that at all, especially since the Global Mods/Admins can easily see what they are doing. If they just want to be in it to edit/delete posts of those they don't like, I guarantee they will be gone within a week.

I think you aren't taking in to account that the great majority of Moderators would still be Administration appointed, with very few having been the ones voted in. It gives the chance for people who think the Admins only accept people they are friends with to apply.

Image[url=steam://friends/add/76561198036220818]Image[/url]
Spoiler
dastupy
Forum Addict
ID: 28870
Alternate name(s): Weltschmerz

It could be a good suggestion. Aslong as the admin team reserve the right to fire the incompetent ones without having to explain themselves.

Spoiler
Jack
Evil Reincarnated
Alliance: The Empire
Race: Dragonborn
ID: 6475

ƒëmmë ƒatalë wrote:

+1

though most mods today seem to be part of the Jack msn group.. so there is already a precedence for it to a lesser extent

8-[
Ya'll acting like you know what monster is
Me have 25 years in the monster biz
All monsters think you can fuss with this
Well you can talk to me Snuffleupagus
Me sneak into your house, me leave before dawn
Your daughters will be pregnant and your cookies will be gone
Malx wrote:Make kids not cancer!
Clarkey
Multi Hunter
ID: 0

Honours and Awards

^^ This.

Nice idea RoKeT and it's good to see someone trying to think of some ideas to improve situations rather than just complaining and making accusations. However most voting in this community is a joke these days so i don't think it would work well.

But, is there any harm in giving it a shot? We never know unless we try.
Image ImageImageImage
Juliette
Verified
The Queen
Race: Royalty
ID: 4323
Alternate name(s): Cersei Lannister

Might work for some "Event mods" (awards mods, oms voting mods).. yes.
noone
Forum Elite
Alliance: none
Race: gone
ID: 0
Alternate name(s): Nostradamus,Nostra,NanoBite,Drought,Darkwing Duck,Duck Dodgers,Medusa,Star Nova,System Mistress,*The Exile,ingolfúr,Belle,Lagertha.

There is nothing wrong with a biased mod, as long as they are honest about it.
And that there is an opposing biased mod to provide balance :-D

Voting will only favor those who are populair. In my experience, populair people generally have 1 importance ... themselfs.

Forums come and go everywhere. I've seen a few fair die out over the past 15 years. If it happens here as well ... it would be sad, but not unexpected.

But, in all honesty, does this forum represent a good share of 'the gatewars' community ? I like to believe not, as a great amount of the share are no longer actively playing, or even playing at all.

In my opinion the active gamers are gatewars its real community, as they still have affection and love for the game.
Forum riders with no more love for the game, are some of the real negative elements within the community, as they themselfs most often have a very negative perception of the game and the players, which they are not ashamed of about expressing it, anywhere.

I have seen a couple of other games forums take a turn for the worse where people in important positions (admin, mods, role models etc) enforced their views and opinions upon the active players visiting the boards, leading to a wide spread acceptance of the negative perception of those that do not even played the games anymore.
Jack
Evil Reincarnated
Alliance: The Empire
Race: Dragonborn
ID: 6475

The best mods will be those hated by everyone.

Those are the people that will not be elected and will be kicked out ASAP.
Ya'll acting like you know what monster is
Me have 25 years in the monster biz
All monsters think you can fuss with this
Well you can talk to me Snuffleupagus
Me sneak into your house, me leave before dawn
Your daughters will be pregnant and your cookies will be gone
Malx wrote:Make kids not cancer!
Noobert
Sedin Triplet
Alliance: Mayhem
Race: A Canuck
ID: 57572

Personally, at this point in time, I am all for this idea as it is the only positive one I have seen thus far and it comes with an opening to the players who wish for a chance but never have made the 'cut' so to speak. However, the amount of Moderators should be limited to maybe 1 per section (or something) in my opinion.

The negative effect is as I said in the thread in General. The position will become a joke, but as I said I'm willing to give it a try.

+1 for a test run.

Return to “Forum & Mod Feedback”