Nazism and Godwin point usage

Legendary Apophis
Forum History
Alliance: Generations
Race: System Lord
ID: 7889
Alternate name(s): Apophis the Great

Nazism and Godwin point usage

I have a question to you people, why do you think medias (large definition), politicians and people in general have such a tendency to relate things/comments/behaviours/speeches they don't like, to Nazism so often and overuse the "Godwin point"?
Spoiler

Incarnate - LG - LG1 - LG2 - LG3 - LG4 - AG - EAG ~ AGoL - Completed
Spoiler
<Dmonix> Damnit Jim how come every conversation with you always ends up discussing something deep and meaningful?
<Dmonix> We always end up discussing male/female differences or politics or football
<Dmonix> All the really important issues in life
Juliette
Verified
The Queen
Race: Royalty
ID: 4323
Alternate name(s): Cersei Lannister

Re: Nazism and Godwin point usage

It is easy to define an 'ultimate evil' and then relate everything to it. :)
MEZZANINE
Forum Addict
Alliance: Forgotten Serenity
ID: 81691

Hitler tried to ban smoking, therefor if you dont let me smoke you are a Nazi :smt043

I agree with Jules, for the most part it's an easy way to define evil/bad using events in recent history that everyone knows a about.

Whats amusing for anyone who studied history is that Nazism though responsible for many horrific things actually had some positive effects in the early years which are buried under the title 'they were all evil'. And we 'The Allies' who defeated Nazism also did some pretty nasty stuff that we bury under the title of 'The greater good'.

Spoiler
Attack Mercs Killed (30) 459,329,001
Defence Mercs Killed (10) 2,918,478,517
Attack Soldiers Killed(60) 12,677,958
Defence Soldiers Killed(20) 226,236,488
Attack Super Soldiers Killed(300) 490,627,262
Defence Super Soldiers Killed(100) 4,131,482,551
Spies Killed(50) 4,256,505,842
Spy Killers Killed(50) 651,022,448
Mothership Weapons Destroyed(300) 35,583,034
Mothership Shields Destroyed(300) 39,498,511
Mothership Fleets Destroyed(200) 2,413,254
Planet Defences Destroyed(300) 358,539
Planets Taken(5000) 411
Naquadah Stolen(0.0001) 2,355,738,435,154,805
Untrained Kidnapped(50) 5,943,886,456
Weapon Points Destroyed (Sab+Att)(0.0001) 74,293,522,376,607
Attack Turns Used(1) 1,731,971
[KMA]Avenger
Forum Zombie
Location: Borehamwood Elstree, England, 2 mins from George Lucas Studios.

As stated, it's a frame of reference, something easily related to due to the sheer amount of information available to everyone about the Nazi regime and their doings...common knowledge you might say.

Infinite Love Is the Only Truth: Everything Else Is Illusion.

-David Icke
Legendary Apophis
Forum History

Julietta Putina wrote:It is easy to define an 'ultimate evil' and then relate everything to it. :)

Indeed. Indirectly though, the "ultimate evil" reference tends to be trivialized as it is used again & again, considering it is most of time nonsensical/incorrect use.
In my opinion, when it is used as it is currently (that includes my country obviously), it just displays a terrible lack of arguments and lowers the level of debates lower than gutter. Political correctness **Filtered** at its highest peak leads to Godwin points...
Last edited by Legendary Apophis on Tue Feb 07, 2012 3:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Spoiler

Spoiler
<Dmonix> Damnit Jim how come every conversation with you always ends up discussing something deep and meaningful?
<Dmonix> We always end up discussing male/female differences or politics or football
Juliette
Verified
The Queen

MEZZANINE wrote:Whats amusing for anyone who studied history is that Nazism though responsible for many horrific things actually had some positive effects in the early years which are buried under the title 'they were all evil'. And we 'The Allies' who defeated Nazism also did some pretty nasty stuff that we bury under the title of 'The greater good'.
Indeed. Allies are the Murderers of Dresden and **Filtered** rapists of all that is good.

[KMA]Avenger wrote:As stated, it's a frame of reference, something easily related to due to the sheer amount of information available to everyone about the Nazi regime and their doings...common knowledge you might say.
And an equally vast wealth of misinformation. Just saying.
Legendary Apophis
Forum History

Julietta Putina wrote:
[KMA]Avenger wrote:As stated, it's a frame of reference, something easily related to due to the sheer amount of information available to everyone about the Nazi regime and their doings...common knowledge you might say.
And an equally vast wealth of misinformation. Just saying.

What/where would be these incorrect informations then? :-k

I am aware about misinformation regarding who collaborated/resisted to nazism invading in my nation, but I would be curious to know what's been changed in their case...
I know about the fact the nationalist muslims in Palestine and other muslim nations such as the leader (Grand Mufti of Jerusalem) due to antisemitism were trying to ally the Nazi cause. Otherwise, I don't know of other "partly hidden" stories.
Spoiler

Spoiler
Juliette
Verified
The Queen

I would not know where to begin. The misinformation is woven into history as though it were fact; and much like Romulus and Remus, most of it is myth and conjecture.
Legendary Apophis
Forum History

Things like the "fact" Shoah, extermination camps and antisemitic genocide never really existed? (I've heard +/- that coming out of some 'personalities' across the world)

Allies are the Murderers of Dresden and **Filtered** rapists of all that is good.

Allies also happen to be those who liberated my country from the very lovely regime that starved french people for about 4 years (got many testimonies that don't come from history books but people I know who lived it themselves, and who lived in danger every day because of their fight to free their country or because they almost openly admired the hero of France, General Charles de Gaulle)...So that makes me really wonder what is that "raping of all that is good" from the Allies. Considering the resistance managed to unite communists, socio-democrats, centrists, conservatives, royalists and nationalists into a common goal, free the country (the latter two mentioned ones are those who are omitted from generally accepted history about resistance)
Spoiler

Spoiler
Juliette
Verified
The Queen

Legendary Apophis wrote:Things like the "fact" Shoah, extermination camps and antisemitic genocide never really existed? (I've heard +/- that coming out of some 'personalities' across the world)
Do not act like an idiot. It just was not limited to Germany. Check the UK, USSR and America. All did the same thing. The ones who lost got the blame.
Legendary Apophis wrote:
Allies are the Murderers of Dresden and **Filtered** rapists of all that is good.
Allies also happen to be those who liberated my country from the lovely regime that starved french people (got many testimonies that don't come from history books but people I know who lived it themselves, and who lived in danger every day because of their fight to free their country or because they almost openly admired the hero of France, General Charles de Gaulle)...So that makes me really wonder what is that "raping of all that is good" from the Allies.
**Filtered** Allies raped German women. Hence, those idiots should have been killed ages ago.

Besides, you French caused the war with your damned Versailles treaty and occupation of Elsaß-Lothringen.
Legendary Apophis
Forum History

Julietta Putina wrote:
Legendary Apophis wrote:Things like the "fact" Shoah, extermination camps and antisemitic genocide never really existed? (I've heard +/- that coming out of some 'personalities' across the world)
Do not act like an idiot. It just was not limited to Germany. Check the UK, USSR and America. All did the same thing. The ones who lost got the blame.

USSR did that too yes, you should know that I am not one of these people who minimizes the atrocities done by the likes of Stalin, Mao and Pol Pot to name a few. Communists beat Nazis/Fascists in the total count of kills/murders throughout XXth century. As for the UK they didn't plan to exterminate a whole culture/ethnicity as farm as I know. But I will not ignore the fact concentration camps were created in Namibia in the late XIXth century. As for the USA, it wasn't exactly the same, but the outcome was similar...

Legendary Apophis wrote:**Filtered** Allies raped German women. Hence, those idiots should have been killed ages ago.

SS troops did the same in France, but in that area, we were "luckily" among the least mistreated in Europe for atrocities, if I might use the word "lucky". Probably because in spite of being Germany "natural enemy", in the Nazi 'pyramid of races', we weren't "inferior" enough to them (Nazi were of course at the top of their own pyramid...) to be treated like toys and animals. Unfortunately, not all of our troops/inhabitants were considered as "Francs" and it was quite terrible images (1940 Nazi archive sources) about how these "greatly inferior" people were treated. Not better than how the Red Army behaved in the Baltic nations, I admit.
But nonetheless very horrible considering it came from the self pretended "most civilized" nation in the world, and not some "barbarian" nation.
Spoiler

Spoiler
Juliette
Verified
The Queen

You seem to have an unnatural focus on ONLY Nazi's and communists. :-k Where does that lack of interest in real history come from?
Legendary Apophis
Forum History

Julietta Putina wrote:You seem to have an unnatural focus on ONLY Nazi's and communists. :-k Where does that lack of interest in real history come from?

No you got it wrong, it is Nazis, Communists and Extreme Religious Behaviours (including in Christianity extremism throughout history just so I couldn't be accused to be biased). What is "real" history?
Spoiler

Spoiler
Juliette
Verified
The Queen

Legendary Apophis wrote:
Julietta Putina wrote:You seem to have an unnatural focus on ONLY Nazi's and communists. :-k Where does that lack of interest in real history come from?
What is "real" history?
It is a field of research which uses a narrative to examine and analyse the sequence of events, and it sometimes attempts to investigate objectively the patterns of cause and effect that determine events.

Morality does not factor in history. The abuse of the beautiful art and science of history to throw a political agenda is sickening. And not just a little.
Legendary Apophis
Forum History

Julietta Putina wrote:
Legendary Apophis wrote:
What is "real" history?
It is a field of research which uses a narrative to examine and analyse the sequence of events, and it sometimes attempts to investigate objectively the patterns of cause and effect that determine events.

Morality does not factor in history. The abuse of the beautiful art and science of history to throw a political agenda is sickening. And not just a little.

Positivism history or something else?
I didn't study this, you can thank the lovely history teachers to have gone on strikes during the semester I was meant to have courses about different history approaches lol. :-D
Spoiler

Spoiler

Return to “General intelligent discussion topics”