Why does this forum crash my PC ????

for FORUM issues, complaints, requests, bugs, etc - - not game related...
MEZZANINE
Forum Addict
Alliance: Forgotten Serenity
Race: System Lord
ID: 81691

Why does this forum crash my PC ????

I use many websites and forums, I can leave my PC downloading all day when in work, run a half dozen programs at once, no problems.

When ever I type a long post on this forum ( only this forum & always my long posts in the Debate section ), my PC switches off, I have to turn it back on, recover and restore Firefox session.

Can anyone tell me why this is ?

What does this forum have that uses so much PC resources it can have this effect on a 2.8 GHz, 8 GB RAM PC ?

Spoiler
Attack Mercs Killed (30) 459,329,001
Defence Mercs Killed (10) 2,918,478,517
Attack Soldiers Killed(60) 12,677,958
Defence Soldiers Killed(20) 226,236,488
Attack Super Soldiers Killed(300) 490,627,262
Defence Super Soldiers Killed(100) 4,131,482,551
Spies Killed(50) 4,256,505,842
Spy Killers Killed(50) 651,022,448
Mothership Weapons Destroyed(300) 35,583,034
Mothership Shields Destroyed(300) 39,498,511
Mothership Fleets Destroyed(200) 2,413,254
Planet Defences Destroyed(300) 358,539
Planets Taken(5000) 411
Naquadah Stolen(0.0001) 2,355,738,435,154,805
Untrained Kidnapped(50) 5,943,886,456
Weapon Points Destroyed (Sab+Att)(0.0001) 74,293,522,376,607
Attack Turns Used(1) 1,731,971
Zeratul
Elder Administrator
Alliance: Lucian Alliance
Race: Templar
ID: 7
Alternate name(s): Hrefna
Reitha

Honours and Awards

Re: Why does this forum crash my PC ????

We'd love to give a good answer, but we have none. Have anyone else got a similar problem?
Have you checked if your computer contains something it should not contain? strange spyware, malicious malware, viruses, bacteria, blocks of C4 explosives or loose wires? have you tried with other browsers? Other operating system(s) on the same hardware?

Since we cannot solve the exact problem, we'd suggest that if you wish to make very long posts, type them in a word processor of some sort and save it regularly. It might not be a perfect solution, but its better than loosing essay-length posts. Or you could type them in the posting window on another forum and use preview button regularly if you need code tags easily accessible.
"Great holy armies shall be gathered and trained to fight all who embrace evil. In the name of the gods, Browsers shall be changed to carry the internet out amongst the peoples and we will spread Firefox to all the unbelievers. The power of the Firefox will be felt far and wide and the wicked users of IE shall be converted to use the true browsers."

Curious about our color? Feel free to ask...
Juliette
Verified
The Queen
Race: Royalty
ID: 4323
Alternate name(s): Cersei Lannister

No.
jedi~tank
Forum Zombie
ID: 0

I do, I dumped FF for GW because of this.

"What I want to see is a tight knit group not a collection of people pulling in different directions"
Deni
Jack
Evil Reincarnated
Alliance: The Empire
Race: Dragonborn
ID: 6475

MEZZANINE wrote:I use many websites and forums, I can leave my PC downloading all day when in work, run a half dozen programs at once, no problems.

When ever I type a long post on this forum ( only this forum & always my long posts in the Debate section ), my PC switches off, I have to turn it back on, recover and restore Firefox session.

Can anyone tell me why this is ?

What does this forum have that uses so much PC resources it can have this effect on a 2.8 GHz, 8 GB RAM PC ?

What addons do you have? Have you tried using another browser?

Jedi~Tank wrote:I do, I dumped FF for GW because of this.

That sounds more like a browser issue.
Ya'll acting like you know what monster is
Me have 25 years in the monster biz
All monsters think you can fuss with this
Well you can talk to me Snuffleupagus
Me sneak into your house, me leave before dawn
Your daughters will be pregnant and your cookies will be gone
Malx wrote:Make kids not cancer!
MEZZANINE
Forum Addict
Alliance: Forgotten Serenity
ID: 81691

The game actually works fine, just the forum gives me problems, and only on long posts.

I hate to use IE but I will try it and report back

As for virus/spyware ect, I do regular scans and use Avast which has always proved effective, and it seems too selective to be a virus, does not lose any info and does no real damage, just switches the PC off, only time I ever seen PCs do that is when they overheat or if the processor redlines or with power spikes none of which seem to be happening.

I dont use any addons, disabled them all a long time ago as they annoyed me, and no recent browser updates.

Only recent updates of any kind are Vista ( the devils work, god I wish I still had my XP ), but again seems too selective to blame Vista, why would it only effect this forum ?

There must be something specific to this forum setup that triggers the problem, was hoping someone else might have had the same issue to help me pin it down.

Spoiler
Attack Mercs Killed (30) 459,329,001
Defence Mercs Killed (10) 2,918,478,517
Attack Soldiers Killed(60) 12,677,958
Defence Soldiers Killed(20) 226,236,488
Attack Super Soldiers Killed(300) 490,627,262
Defence Super Soldiers Killed(100) 4,131,482,551
Spies Killed(50) 4,256,505,842
Spy Killers Killed(50) 651,022,448
Mothership Weapons Destroyed(300) 35,583,034
Mothership Shields Destroyed(300) 39,498,511
Mothership Fleets Destroyed(200) 2,413,254
Planet Defences Destroyed(300) 358,539
Planets Taken(5000) 411
Naquadah Stolen(0.0001) 2,355,738,435,154,805
Untrained Kidnapped(50) 5,943,886,456
Weapon Points Destroyed (Sab+Att)(0.0001) 74,293,522,376,607
Attack Turns Used(1) 1,731,971
Legendary Apophis
Forum History
Alliance: Generations
ID: 7889
Alternate name(s): Apophis the Great

I had Vista for 3 years and did use FF during this, I think I encountered this problem but it was only when browser crashed due to flash player, so not the forums...
Spoiler

Incarnate - LG - LG1 - LG2 - LG3 - LG4 - AG - EAG ~ AGoL - Completed
Spoiler
<Dmonix> Damnit Jim how come every conversation with you always ends up discussing something deep and meaningful?
<Dmonix> We always end up discussing male/female differences or politics or football
<Dmonix> All the really important issues in life
Jack
Evil Reincarnated
Alliance: The Empire
Race: Dragonborn
ID: 6475

MEZZANINE wrote:The game actually works fine, just the forum gives me problems, and only on long posts.

I hate to use IE but I will try it and report back

As for virus/spyware ect, I do regular scans and use Avast which has always proved effective, and it seems too selective to be a virus, does not lose any info and does no real damage, just switches the PC off, only time I ever seen PCs do that is when they overheat or if the processor redlines or with power spikes none of which seem to be happening.

I dont use any addons, disabled them all a long time ago as they annoyed me, and no recent browser updates.

Only recent updates of any kind are Vista ( the devils work, god I wish I still had my XP ), but again seems too selective to blame Vista, why would it only effect this forum ?

There must be something specific to this forum setup that triggers the problem, was hoping someone else might have had the same issue to help me pin it down.

You monitor the resource usage when it happens? What version of Vista are you using?
Ya'll acting like you know what monster is
Me have 25 years in the monster biz
All monsters think you can fuss with this
Well you can talk to me Snuffleupagus
Me sneak into your house, me leave before dawn
Your daughters will be pregnant and your cookies will be gone
Malx wrote:Make kids not cancer!
ƒëmmë
Forum Elite
Alternate name(s): ƒëmmë ƒatalë
temptress
cleo_catra

I use FF and never had that issue on here or anywhere else solely because of it.. only the typical crashes that happen from time to time when FF has done some update version.
To fight and conquer in all your battles is not supreme excellence;
supreme excellence consists in breaking the enemy's resistance without fighting.
-Sun Tzu, the Art of War
31/07/2012 6:13:16 AM Hope Light ID's mean nothing imo if you can back yourself up.
31/07/2012 6:13:22 AM Hope Light only **Filtered** hide them.
Be careful who you trust, even the devil was once an angel
veritas vos liberabit
Forums own rules
http://stargatewars.herebegames.com/vie ... 7#p2510387
Spoiler
Section Admins - who will be 'in charge' of the section in question. They will be responsible for the overall feel of the section, the setup/structure, and most importantly the community/users in the section. This will incorporate the old 'ombudsman' role. And insofar as the Section Admin is responsible for the users, they are also responsible for the high level mod behaviour towards the users.
So -as a user - if you have an issue with how you are treated, rules, bans, whatever --goto the section admin... They are there for you!

There is no 'reporting structure' in this setup -- tech, mod, and section admins are all on equal footing, each with their own (somewhat overlapping) responsibilities.
Mods report directly to the mod admin, and indirectly to the section admin for the section in which they mod.

Return to “Forum Specific Issues/Requests/Bugs (NOT GAME ISSUES)”