"Thanks" button

for FORUM issues, complaints, requests, bugs, etc - - not game related...
Jim
Pony Princess
Alliance: MaYHeM
Race: Asgard
ID: 45162
Alternate name(s): Bucephalus
Kishin

"Thanks" button

I have brought this up before, but I would really enjoy a "like" function on the forums.

phpbb do have a mod which pretty much equates to this which is called a "Thanks mod". You can Thank somebody for a post and it displays the thanks a post has recieved underneath it and you can see how many thanks have been given and received by users.
Would Jason have to do this or could the admins?
What do people think of the idea? It could ease congestion of "+1" posts or "yeah thats a good post" posts.
Juliette
Verified
The Queen
Race: Royalty
ID: 4323
Alternate name(s): Cersei Lannister

Re: "Thanks" button

+1

(Though I would plead for a full introduction of the 'Karma system', actually, where authors gather reputation based on 'liked' posts and lose it on 'disliked' posts.) ;)
Anyway.. installing mods.. unlikely. :)
Clarkey
Multi Hunter
ID: 0

Honours and Awards

Admins that have access to the server will be able to do it. Usually mods have files or images that need to be located on the server. As for installing the mod I believe a forum admin can do that.

However, as it's been said many times, Jason doesn't do it often. What I believe may convince him to possibly install a mod is if you can confirm that the mod does not require updating (or the styles for that matter) whenever the forum version is updated. That is the bit that requires more work especially with the number of styles Jason has on this forum.
Image ImageImageImage
Ashu
Michael Westen
Alliance: TAF
Race: Human
ID: 81691

Honours and Awards

Cersei Lannister wrote:+1

(Though I would plead for a full introduction of the 'Karma system', actually, where authors gather reputation based on 'liked' posts and lose it on 'disliked' posts.) ;)

AWAY WITH YOU REDDIT SPY!

A thank you button would be interesting. +1
Bias Admin colour
Jim
Pony Princess
Kishin

Cersei Lannister wrote:+1

The Karma system is always interesting...the thanks system just seems simpler.

Clarkey wrote:Admins that have access to the server will be able to do it. Usually mods have files or images that need to be located on the server. As for installing the mod I believe a forum admin can do that.

However, as it's been said many times, Jason doesn't do it often. What I believe may convince him to possibly install a mod is if you can confirm that the mod does not require updating (or the styles for that matter) whenever the forum version is updated. That is the bit that requires more work especially with the number of styles Jason has on this forum.

I just installed it on another phbb freeforum in all of 30 seconds. I don't know how this forum differs or if somebody downloaded the mod before me, but i literally just clicked "enable" on the mod screen of the ACP.
Drought
Forum Expert

Isn't there an integrated rating system for posts ? (disabled atm)
Could possibly fulfill the needs requested here.

And yes, expect styles to mess these things up (like with the polls)
a very bad hairdo
Clarkey
Multi Hunter

Honours and Awards

Jim wrote:
Clarkey wrote:Admins that have access to the server will be able to do it. Usually mods have files or images that need to be located on the server. As for installing the mod I believe a forum admin can do that.

I just installed it on another phbb freeforum in all of 30 seconds. I don't know how this forum differs or if somebody downloaded the mod before me, but i literally just clicked "enable" on the mod screen of the ACP.

My experience is based on vBulletin, but the principle I believe is the same. Normally you have to download the mod. This will consist of an XML file, and possibly additional files that require uploading to the server. For example, if the "like" mod has a button or two like a thumbs up or thumbs down image then these would need to be placed on the server in a specific directory.

You then import the XML file through the ACP.

That is basically it.

As for the PHPbb freeforum, they may provide the "like" option as standard default and that is why you just had to click enable.
Image ImageImageImage
Jim
Pony Princess
Kishin

Clarkey wrote:
Jim wrote:

My experience is based on vBulletin, but the principle I believe is the same. Normally you have to download the mod. This will consist of an XML file, and possibly additional files that require uploading to the server. For example, if the "like" mod has a button or two like a thumbs up or thumbs down image then these would need to be placed on the server in a specific directory.

You then import the XML file through the ACP.

That is basically it.

There is indeed a thumbs up button and yeah I see the difficulties now but it couldnt be that hard for somebody like Jason to do.... the question is: is it worth the effort to pursue Jason about this when he is so busy helping the game in other ways... *cough*
Clarkey
Multi Hunter

Honours and Awards

Jim wrote:There is indeed a thumbs up button and yeah I see the difficulties now but it couldnt be that hard for somebody like Jason to do.... the question is: is it worth the effort to pursue Jason about this when he is so busy helping the game in other ways... *cough*
It wouldn't be hard for Jason to do at all. If it required uploading a few files to the server and installing the mod through the ACP it can be done in minutes. It's the "styles requiring updating" that could cause an issue if they require updating when the forum software is updated.

I won't comment on his "helping the game"...
Image ImageImageImage
Jim
Pony Princess
Kishin

Clarkey wrote:
Jim wrote:There is indeed a thumbs up button and yeah I see the difficulties now but it couldnt be that hard for somebody like Jason to do.... the question is: is it worth the effort to pursue Jason about this when he is so busy helping the game in other ways... *cough*
It wouldn't be hard for Jason to do at all. If it required uploading a few files to the server and installing the mod through the ACP it can be done in minutes. It's the "styles requiring updating" that could cause an issue if they require updating when the forum software is updated.

Awesome. I shall see if I can make it to next weeks meet then!

Clarkey wrote:I won't comment on his "helping the game"...
:-D
Clarkey
Multi Hunter

Honours and Awards

What a mature discussion in this thread. :D

*thumbs up*
Image ImageImageImage
Jim
Pony Princess
Kishin

Clarkey wrote:What a mature discussion in this thread. :D

*thumbs up*

Clarkey has been Thanked for this post by- Jim.
Juliette
Verified
The Queen

Jim wrote:
Cersei Lannister wrote:(Though I would plead for a full introduction of the 'Karma system', actually, where authors gather reputation based on 'liked' posts and lose it on 'disliked' posts.) ;)
Yes, so much simpler that it is very boring. :P What good are 'likes' if the author does not get an overview of how many of his posts are liked by how many people (by whom, even)? :?
Jim
Pony Princess
Kishin

Cersei Lannister wrote:
Jim wrote:
Cersei Lannister wrote:(Though I would plead for a full introduction of the 'Karma system', actually, where authors gather reputation based on 'liked' posts and lose it on 'disliked' posts.) ;)
Yes, so much simpler that it is very boring. :P What good are 'likes' if the author does not get an overview of how many of his posts are liked by how many people (by whom, even)? :?

It does give that overview.

Duderanch:
Gratitudes

Have thanks: 1 time
Jim → for post
Juliette
Verified
The Queen

Jim wrote:
Cersei Lannister wrote:
Jim wrote:

It does give that overview.

Duderanch:
Gratitudes

Have thanks: 1 time
Jim → for post
Ooh, epic. :-D Can you also "dislike" a post? Because there are posts that simply are not worth responding to, but do get somewhat under my skin.. disliking those would be very useful. (Anonymously, of course, because I am a chicken.) :P

Return to “Forum Specific Issues/Requests/Bugs (NOT GAME ISSUES)”