Image Edit Help

A place general forum talk, not related to ingame discussions.
Slim87R
Forum Expert

Image Edit Help

Hi guys,

I have an image that I want to make transparent, but all I have is MS paint and apparently it doesn't support transparent images. I don't want to get Photoshop for a single image, so is there anyone here with Photoshop willing to help a guy out? I have no idea how to post an image here from my PC, but if anyone is willing to assist I can try to send the image to you. I just want to make the part that is white transparent. Thanks in advance.
The Doctor
Time Lord
Race: Time Lord

Honours and Awards

Re: Image Edit Help

Slim87R wrote:Hi guys,

I have an image that I want to make transparent, but all I have is MS paint and apparently it doesn't support transparent images. I don't want to get Photoshop for a single image, so is there anyone here with Photoshop willing to help a guy out? I have no idea how to post an image here from my PC, but if anyone is willing to assist I can try to send the image to you. I just want to make the part that is white transparent. Thanks in advance.
When you say transparent, do you want the whole image "faded", or just the background as transparent?

Depending on which, it should be simple enough with free programs such as Paint.NET and GIMP.

Otherwise, either I can have a go at it, or one of the sig makers could help out.
Formerly known as Haz

Nine out of ten doctors recommend going to an amusement park this weekend.
The Tenth Doctor doesn't want to go.
Spoiler
CC Leader: n haz thsi time it wasnt ur fault
Bralor wrote:hey haz how long do you estimate until someone blames you and masses HVE again?
Field Marshall wrote:On a seperate issue - where is Haz? He's the glue we really need right now!
SuperSaiyan wrote:I'm a staff member so naturally I'm used to unjustified abusive commentary, so really I don't mind ;)
Zeratul wrote:
Ĕɱƿŷ wrote:So I heard that when becoming a moderator you are subjected to hours and hours of "The Forum is good, the Forum is great, we surrender our will as of this date".

that is incorrect... nothing resembling prostration...

Forced labor on the other hand........ :sge
SuperSaiyan says (2:04 PM):
*that was kernal potter
*colonel
*wow I just made that typo

SuperSaiyan says (2:05 PM):
*no one will speak of this
*or I take muff's veggies away
*and he starves
Hope says (2:59 AM):
*hypothetically, how bad would it be if i descended someone... but forgot to Godquest them first, and they're active, and in an active alliance...
Hope says (3:00 AM):
*hypothetically...
Murris says (3:00 AM):
*ah **Filtered** why am i descended....
Angnoch Freddie says:
i hate being a mod...
i just wanted the blue color XD
Slim87R
Forum Expert

Haz wrote:

When you say transparent, do you want the whole image "faded", or just the background as transparent?

Depending on which, it should be simple enough with free programs such as Paint.NET and GIMP.

Otherwise, either I can have a go at it, or one of the sig makers could help out.
I don't want to fade anything, just straight up turn the white background transparent. I do not want to DL anything, but I will give paint.NET a go, and see how that goes. It is just a simple banner for my Twitch stream that I rarely use LOL.

Edit: Looks like I am downloading Paint net...
The Doctor
Time Lord
Race: Time Lord

Honours and Awards

Slim87R wrote:
Haz wrote:

I don't want to fade anything, just straight up turn the white background transparent. I do not want to DL anything, but I will give paint.NET a go, and see how that goes. It is just a simple banner for my Twitch stream that I rarely use LOL.

Edit: Looks like I am downloading Paint net...
Haha easy then. I think the "magic wand" option and the delete button will be the greatest help for you :P Also ensure the image format that you save the file as supports transparency... cant remember which those are off the top of my head...
Formerly known as Haz

Nine out of ten doctors recommend going to an amusement park this weekend.
The Tenth Doctor doesn't want to go.
Spoiler
CC Leader: n haz thsi time it wasnt ur fault
Bralor wrote:hey haz how long do you estimate until someone blames you and masses HVE again?
Field Marshall wrote:On a seperate issue - where is Haz? He's the glue we really need right now!
SuperSaiyan wrote:I'm a staff member so naturally I'm used to unjustified abusive commentary, so really I don't mind ;)
Zeratul wrote:
Ĕɱƿŷ wrote:So I heard that when becoming a moderator you are subjected to hours and hours of "The Forum is good, the Forum is great, we surrender our will as of this date".

that is incorrect... nothing resembling prostration...

Forced labor on the other hand........ :sge
SuperSaiyan says (2:04 PM):
*that was kernal potter
*colonel
*wow I just made that typo

SuperSaiyan says (2:05 PM):
*no one will speak of this
*or I take muff's veggies away
*and he starves
Hope says (2:59 AM):
*hypothetically, how bad would it be if i descended someone... but forgot to Godquest them first, and they're active, and in an active alliance...
Hope says (3:00 AM):
*hypothetically...
Murris says (3:00 AM):
*ah **Filtered** why am i descended....
Angnoch Freddie says:
i hate being a mod...
i just wanted the blue color XD
Neimenljivi
Forum Zombie
Alliance: Lone wolf
Race: Slovenian
ID: 82089

PNG is the best format for non-animated transparent images. JPG doesn't support transparency.
Also depending on the type and complexity of image, I'd suggest colour range tool rather than the magic wand - at least in PhotoShop, I do not use the programs you listed so I don't know what kind of tools they have, they might not have the colour range (or magic wand for that matter)..

~N
Haz wrote:It took a bit of time, but the investigation has now been completed.
S1eepy will be banned for scripting, for the remainder of this era.
Name: S1eepy [ TheCheekyChickens ]
{Banned}
2012 Awards awarded to me:
Spoiler
Slim87R
Forum Expert

I couldnt make heads or tales of the program I was using, so I kept using rectangular select and delete on a diagonal line to get it. It looks blocky as hell, but got it to work. It was just a simple header for my Twitch channel. I could do awesome things with paint, just wish it supported transparency. And yes, I used PNG as my format. If I had someone to teach me the ways of paint.NET I am sure I would be much better off, I am horrible at learning things by trial and error.
Neimenljivi
Forum Zombie

Those are all pretty weak programs. I've written a lengthy file teaching the ways of PhotoShop and have it for sale, if you are interested ;)

~N
{Banned}
Spoiler
Clockwork
The Ablest Man
Alliance: Multiverse
Race: Clockwork Admin
ID: 1940718

Ask one of the sig makers to nog something up for you and chuck them a couple of T Naq, plenty of people who have the skills.
Admin for all the Forum things...
Click Me for forum rules.
Click Me for Game admin contact details.
Slim87R
Forum Expert

Neimenljivi wrote:Those are all pretty weak programs. I've written a lengthy file teaching the ways of PhotoShop and have it for sale, if you are interested ;)

~N
If I ever buy photoshop, I will keep that in mind.
Neimenljivi
Forum Zombie

Get the CC version, it's quite cheap ;)

~N
{Banned}
Spoiler

Return to “This, That, Those, and Them”