The bible

The Community's new book club where you can recommend and discuss your favourite novels to keep one busy during those boring hours of waiting to bank.
<name modded>

The bible

I read this book a few months ago and came away slightly disappointed. It seems to get a lot of praise amongst certain folk and institutions, however, I can not agree with their love for the book. It's divided into two main sections: the Old Testament and the New Testament, with both sections further sub-divided into many different chapters. The first section (Old Testament) follows the creation of existence, introduction of human, animals, plants etc, and the punishment of humans by the lead protagonist (God). The God character seems to have been oddly portrayed; especially considering the vast amount of praise people seem to give him. He comes across as a egotistical psychopath, who's obsessed with maintaining his own glory at the expense of the humans he 'created'. Whilst this theme is interesting to start with (the destruction of the 7 tribes part particularly fun), it soon becomes dull. The second section follows a different theme, with its centre storyline follow a character named Jesus Christ. He seems to change much of the original message to something more moral, i.e. less genocide. However, just as he is getting interesting, the character is killed off, only to be 'resurrected' later. All in all the book is a difficult read, should not be taken too heavily, and not one for the kids.

If you loved this, try reading 'The Koran', it's a laugh-a-minute riot of a novel!
Tok`ra

Theres also a spinoff novel, called the book of morman.

It was a plagerised re-write of a 1800s scifi novel. (what little scifi they had back then)
Spacey
Forum Zombie
ID: 0

Re: The bible

Cove wrote:I read...

Cove, please be respectful of other people's beliefs, as members here(like myself), as members here are respectful of yours. You may not agree with something, and may wish to discuss it further, but if doing so please use language and context that you would want of someone talking to you or about your beliefs.

Thanks.
Kevin
"We few. We happy few. We band of brothers.
For those who shed their blood with me today
will always be my brother."
Afentius
Forum Intermediate

Re: The bible

Spacey wrote:
Cove wrote:I read...

Cove, please be respectful of other people's beliefs, as members here(like myself), as members here are respectful of yours. You may not agree with something, and may wish to discuss it further, but if doing so please use language and context that you would want of someone talking to you or about your beliefs.

Thanks.
Kevin

Thanks Kevin, and I agree 100%. Tjhis should be locked for it could be offensive to some. Same to a subject on the Koran, ect.

Like it or not the Bible is one of the most important works in literature. To fully understand older books one needs to have a grasp of what the Bible contains. Some parts are cruel but if you look at any ancient text you will find the same sort of stuff. The impact it has had on western thought is amazing, no other work has even come close to the Bible in that regards.

Do I believe it? No. That does not change the fact that the Bible is one of the most important books ever written.
Come_Forth
Forum Expert

The guest was me.

Just some postive things the Bible gave history:
A linear view of history
Monotheism
Birth of western ethics
Account of what life was like and where things are located
"Conservatives are not necessarily stupid, but most stupid people are conservatives."
John Stuart Mill
CthulhuSpawn
Fledgling Forumer

I nominate Cove for the greatest single post ever award! whos with me?!
(\_/)
(0.0)
(><)This is Bunny. Copy Bunny and this message into your signature to help him on his way to world Domination.
YEA BUNNY!!
Afentius
Forum Intermediate

CthulhuSpawn wrote:I nominate Cove for the greatest single post ever award! whos with me?!

NO
Come_Forth
Forum Expert

CthulhuSpawn wrote:I nominate Cove for the greatest single post ever award! whos with me?!

If you think that deserves a greatest post award you should read some of the stuff that other sgw users have said on religion ;)

This topic will only lead to spam and people getting attacked ingame and I find it vulgar that someone would attack based on someone's belief or unbelief in a deity(s).
"Conservatives are not necessarily stupid, but most stupid people are conservatives."
John Stuart Mill
Osi
Forum Addict

Come_Forth[D12] wrote:The guest was me.

Just some postive things the Bible gave history:
A linear view of history
Monotheism
Birth of western ethics
Account of what life was like and where things are located

linear views of history were recorded by the Romans
Many cultures had Monotheism the bible is just a well known one
Western Ethics came from Rome The Bible is Eastern is origin
The Bible is a bad example of life and location because most of it is composed of Fables, and Parables passed down through history to teach a lesson. I.E. the Flood story. Now I am Catholic but I find this original post to be very amusing showing how tolerations outranks fanatics and thumpers who can only see the bad in things.

Thank you and goodnight

-Osiris
Our failure is obvious, we had our foot on the throat of Humanity and we failed to step down hard enough.
Come_Forth
Forum Expert

Dude please learn your history by taking western civ. 1. The Hebrews were the first known culture that was monotheistic and they spread it. The hebrews were around way before the Romans lol way before. I am an atheist but my history book at uni uses the bible all the time to locate ancient cities. Lol you are thinking of modern east and west ;-) think ancient.
John Stuart Mill
Osi
Forum Addict

many Native American tribes believed in one spirit if I do remeber my mythology correctly. And it was they Eygptians that first recorded monotheism as the Monotheistic part of the bible wasn't really introduced untilt eh new testament. If you are as smart as you say you are you would know that Baal and many persian gods are referenced as god bbut the lord says "you may put no god before me" saying that he is the almighty but not the only one :wink: . I'm reading a history of God I know all about the Hebrews and Yahweh.
Our failure is obvious, we had our foot on the throat of Humanity and we failed to step down hard enough.
Come_Forth
Forum Expert

Orici wrote:many Native American tribes believed in one spirit if I do remeber my mythology correctly. And it was they Eygptians that first recorded monotheism as the Monotheistic part of the bible wasn't really introduced untilt eh new testament. If you are as smart as you say you are you would know that Baal and many persian gods are referenced as god bbut the lord says "you may put no god before me" saying that he is the almighty but not the only one :wink: . I'm reading a history of God I know all about the Hebrews and Yahweh.

First we are way off topic, but I believe that Akhenaten introduced monotheism after the Hebrews were established. When it says "you may put no other god before me" it is just saying do not worship other gods not that other gods exist. I know nothing of Native American mythology but I do know that it was the Hebrews that spread monotheism and then Islam branched of Judaism as did Christianity and numerous other monotheistic religions.

This is pointless as I do not want to defend the Bible :P
John Stuart Mill
Osi
Forum Addict

how are we off topic we are discussing the good book and its representation.
Come_Forth
Forum Expert

lol it turned into a history lesson not a book discussion.

Some of the books I really like though like the books of Acts and James.
John Stuart Mill

Return to “The Book Club”