Greatest Villain in Literature

The Community's new book club where you can recommend and discuss your favourite novels to keep one busy during those boring hours of waiting to bank.
Mordack
The Spider
ID: 8500

Honours and Awards

Greatest Villain in Literature

Who do you think is the greatest villain in literature?

How you define "greatest" and "villain" is up to you.
"I bet you thought you'd seen the last of me.."

(TB)
Fear Of The Duck
Forum Zombie

do historical characters count as well or just fictional?
Mordack
The Spider

Honours and Awards

Corran Horn wrote:do historical characters count as well or just fictional?

Sure. They can count.

I didn't really have specific "rules" in mind when I made the topic, just thought it'd be interesting.

(TB)
UBERN00B!
Fledgling Forumer
ID: 0
Location: Showing girls why my real name is Lance....heh heh......

Very interesting topic - thanks for the idea Mordack.

Pennywise the Dancing Clown, aka Bob Gray, aka IT. I still hate clowns. :shock:

And no, the movie was a travesty. Ignore it.
SGC Replicators wrote:yes i no it may have been my fault but what i like about this game i can make others pay for my silly mistakes.
Testify!
Mordack
The Spider

Honours and Awards

Steerpike from Mervyn Peake's Gormenghast

So compelling that he's arguably the hero. There's something ever so slightly inspiring about Steerpike's meteoric ascent to power. He starts from nothing and comes from nowhere, but plots/schemes his way to the very top. He has everybody by the balls, and none of them realise until it's too late. Totally badass, totally machiavellian and totally awesome.

Honorable mentions:

Satan from John Milton's Paradise Lost

Iago from Shakespeare's Othello

Kurt Dussander from Stephen King's Apt Pupil

(TB)
Spam Bot
Fledgling Forumer

God in the Old Testament. Demanding the sacrifice of your children, advocating genocide, insisting in jealousy that any family member who attempted to sway you into another religion must be choked to death - they don't get worse than that.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God? Epicurus [341–270 B.C.] Greek philosopher
Desnar
Forum Regular
Race: Tollan
ID: 27001

This is more a collection of beings of evil. But the biggest dystopic villain has to be:

Big Brother from 1984 by G. Orwell.
Taure
Forum Irregular
Race: Asuran
ID: 25525

Hmm...

Most memorable villain: Severus Snape from HP. Nothing is quite so villainous as treachery, and the emotional ties that the reader had in connection with Snape's victim made his murderous act that much worse.

Greatest, as in most powerful, villian: Sauron from LotR.

Most villainous villain: Big Brother from 1984.
Brythalious
Forum Intermediate
Alliance: Warlords of Briton
Race: Briton
ID: 19326

Re:

Spam Bot wrote:God in the Old Testament. Demanding the sacrifice of your children, advocating genocide, insisting in jealousy that any family member who attempted to sway you into another religion must be choked to death - they don't get worse than that.

Huh! That God is actually a personal hero of mine....

Artemis Entreri was good. (Forgotten Realms, Drizzt Do'Urden novels)
Cersei Lannister (song of Ice and Fire)
Agamemnon

Sure there must be lots more... Oh well.
Main ID: 19326. Ascended: 2853
A Warlord never asks how many but where they are!
Arturus Rex Quondam, Rexque Futurus
Mordack
The Spider

Honours and Awards

Re:

Taure wrote:
Most memorable villain: Severus Snape from HP. Nothing is quite so villainous as treachery, and the emotional ties that the reader had in connection with Snape's victim made his murderous act that much worse.

Ah. I guess you don't subscribe to the view that he's going to redeem himself in the final act and turn out to be an anti-hero.

I'll agree that Snape is a great character. My favourite, in fact, and one of the saving graces of the Harry Potter series. My jury's still out on where his true loyalties lie though.

(TB)
Spacey
Forum Zombie

Re: Re:

Mordack wrote:
Taure wrote:

Ah. I guess you don't subscribe to the view that he's going to redeem himself in the final act and turn out to be an anti-hero.

I'll agree that Snape is a great character. My favourite, in fact, and one of the saving graces of the Harry Potter series. My jury's still out on where his true loyalties lie though.

I don't think Snape is a villain... in four days I'll probably be proved wrong... but I don't think he is really bad. Something just doesn't sit right... it seems too simple.
"We few. We happy few. We band of brothers.
For those who shed their blood with me today
will always be my brother."
Eternal Usul
"Special Title"
Race: Goa'uld System Lord
ID: 19701
Alternate name(s): Xjba#1819(battle.net)
Eternal Usul(Steam)

Re: Greatest Villain in Literature

Of the stories I've read...two villians stand out in my mind...

The Baron Harkkonenn of the Dune Series...if ever there was a better portrayal of a depraved and disgusting human being, I challenge you to present it. He is easy to hate, forcing you to ally with the story's protaganist Paul Mua'dib...who is arguably an even greater villian, because he initiates a bloody Ji'had that slaughters billions...because the Baron had his father killed, and took his family holdings...

Perhaps my favorite though, is the Vala known as Morgoth from the Lord of the Rings...

A being born of beauty, who became twisted and ugly as he came to envy creation...eventually becoming the very essence of evil, cast beyond the borders of the universe for eternity for the atrocities he wrought...
"Arrakis teaches the attitude of the knife - chopping off what's incomplete and saying: "Now, it's complete because it's ended here."

-"Collected Sayings of Muad'dib"
Zeratul
Elder Administrator
Alliance: Lucian Alliance
Race: Templar
ID: 7
Alternate name(s): Hrefna
Reitha

Honours and Awards

ah... yes... melkor... thats a nice evil character...

the High Captain of Angband isnt too bad either... (Gothmog, lord of balrogs)
"Great holy armies shall be gathered and trained to fight all who embrace evil. In the name of the gods, Browsers shall be changed to carry the internet out amongst the peoples and we will spread Firefox to all the unbelievers. The power of the Firefox will be felt far and wide and the wicked users of IE shall be converted to use the true browsers."

Curious about our color? Feel free to ask...
solmyr
Forum Elite
Alliance: Faded Empire
Race: Masstastic
ID: 94442
Alternate name(s): Thurisaz, Dance Commander

Re:

Knare wrote:This is more a collection of beings of evil. But the biggest dystopic villain has to be:

Big Brother from 1984 by G. Orwell.

damn it i was gonna run with V for Vendetta, but you basically beat me to the punch :D
TRADED WITH ME??? Lemme Know how it went!!
http://stargatewars.herebegames.com/vie ... 8&t=154179
8 Multi's reported and banned
Eternal Usul
"Special Title"
Race: Goa'uld System Lord
ID: 19701
Alternate name(s): Xjba#1819(battle.net)
Eternal Usul(Steam)

Zeratul wrote:ah... yes... melkor... thats a nice evil character...

the High Captain of Angband isnt too bad either... (Gothmog, lord of balrogs)

Must admit I've not heard of Gothmog...but now I'm probably going to look him up...

I did like Ungoliant though...you have to admit that a creature so evil that the evil overlord decided it was best to just let her be, is probably a fair contender for best villian...
"Arrakis teaches the attitude of the knife - chopping off what's incomplete and saying: "Now, it's complete because it's ended here."

-"Collected Sayings of Muad'dib"

Return to “The Book Club”