Go/Weiqi/Gi

For the discussion of sports. Moo?
~Zekk~
Forum Addict
Alliance: Universal Consciousness
Race: Magi
ID: 616

Go/Weiqi/Gi

I got quite a few PM's after put in my new hikaru no go sig asking if I really played Go, so it leads me to wonder how many others play. So...how many others play? :-D

I've been playing on and off (on every chance I get) for almost a year now, but with the amount of practice I get...I still suck. ( :oops: ) So yeah, I'm a novice...I wonder if theres any pro's here. :-D

And for those who don't know:

Wikipedia - Go wrote:Go is a strategic board game for two players. It is known as Weiqi in Chinese (Traditional Chinese: 圍棋; Simplified Chinese: 围棋), Igo or Go in Japanese (Kanji: 囲碁 or 碁), and Baduk (Hangul: 바둑), sometimes Gi(기;棋 or 碁) in Korean. Go originated in ancient China, centuries before its earliest known references in 5th century BC writing. It is mostly popular in East Asia, but has nowadays gained some popularity in the rest of the world as well. Go is noted for being rich in strategic complexity despite its simple rules.

Go is played by two players alternately placing black and white stones on the vacant intersections of a line grid. The standard size of this grid is 19 × 19, although the rules of Go can be freely applied to any size. 13 × 13 and 9 × 9 are also popular choices for more simple and tactic-oriented games as well as a way to introduce Go to new players. The objective is to control a larger part of a board than the opponent as a result of having placed one's stones such that they form territories that cannot be captured by the opponent. A stone or a group of stones is captured and removed if it has no empty adjacent intersections, the result of being completely surrounded by stones of the opposing color. The game ends and the score is counted when both players consecutively pass on a turn, indicating that neither side can increase its territory or reduce its opponent's.

And for those of you who don't believe Go is a sport and doesn't belong here, your wrong - Go is as much a sport as football of basketball. Go has its own Professional league and many players who make a living off normal tournaments, as well as traditional players and clubs all over Asia and in many other places of the world now too. So, please don't move this anywhere. :-D

~Zeke~ - also, for those wanting to learn more - http://www.usgo.org has alot of knowledge and resources regarding Go in the US, and its one of the best english sites I know of...so... :P
Image--by Miko Miko, for KonataChan, of animesuke. *borrows without permission, but with credits* ~_^

Anyone Play Go?
Omoc wrote:
S*rew the equality!

I LOVE WHEN MY GIRLFRIEND DOMINATES ME! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Spacey
Forum Zombie
ID: 0

Re: Go/Weiqi/Gi

I have played a long time ago online.
"We few. We happy few. We band of brothers.
For those who shed their blood with me today
will always be my brother."
Hollow
Forum Expert
Alliance: Vampyer
Race: Vampire

nice :lol: just reading that hurt my brain though :oops: dont think ill be too good at GO
Whos Hes a Ninja
~Zekk~
Forum Addict

Hollow wrote:nice :lol: just reading that hurt my brain though :oops: dont think ill be too good at GO

Don't worry, we can't all be genious anime charecters. :lol:

tis still fun to play, even when ya lose. :P though winning always feels better 8)

~Zeke~
Image--by Miko Miko, for KonataChan, of animesuke. *borrows without permission, but with credits* ~_^

Anyone Play Go?
Omoc wrote:
S*rew the equality!

Hollow
Forum Expert

i read up a bit on it, think ill watch/ read the anime before i give it a GO!!
Whos Hes a Ninja
~Zekk~
Forum Addict

lol

Go for it, and good luck. :-D

~Zeke~

Anyone Play Go?
Omoc wrote:
S*rew the equality!

Sphinx42
Goa'uld

I'll stick to Gomoku... :-D
Gone, left, no longer here.
Hollow
Forum Expert

so what is the name of the actual anime? cos my computer can now watch anime online 8) (without freezing :lol: )
Whos Hes a Ninja
semper
The sharp-tongued devil you can't seem to forget...
Race: God

i used to have it on my phone..and now we have it on an arcade game..well a version of it..instead of counters, you have two coloured aliens..
Accolades/Titles:
Spoiler
Started Playing: April 2005
Honours (5): Hall of Fame 2009. Annual Awards Host 2008, 2009, 2013, 2014 and 2015.
Winner (12): RP'er of the Year 2008, Runner Up Poster of the Year 2008, Debater of the Year 2008, War of the Year 2008, Poster of the Year 2009, Alliance of the Year 2009 (Nemesis Sect, Creator), Alliance War of the Year 2009 (Nempire vs Mayhem, Instigator), RP'er Runner Up 2009, Knew You'd Be Back 2010, Conflict of the Decade (FUALL v TF), Conflict of the Decade Runner Up (Ga vs TF), Alliance of the Decade (TDD).
Nominated (8): Writer of the year 2007, Avatar of the Year 2007, Poster of the Year 2007, Villain of the Year 2008, Player Sig 2008, Race Player of the Year 2009, Most Missed 2010, Alliance Leadership 2010, Most Missed 2011.
Commands (3): Supreme System Lord 2008, 2010, 2011 and 2012. System Lord Council 2006 - present. Dark Lord and Emperor of the Nempire 2009 - 2011.
Alliances (9): DDE, EA, OSL, TFUR, DDEII, AI, RM, WoB, Nemesis.
Forum Roles (4): Former Misc GM, Race Mod (Goa'uld), Debate forum patriarch and mod.
~Zekk~
Forum Addict

I don't trust computer go, ive only played a few times...but the AI was incredibly stupid. however, the fact that a novice like me could manipulate the opponent to the point to where i decide both his and my moves truely amused me :-D

Hollow wrote:so what is the name of the actual anime? cos my computer can now watch anime online 8) (without freezing :lol: )

the anime is called hikaru no go.

~Zeke~

Anyone Play Go?
Omoc wrote:
S*rew the equality!

Nigatsu_Aka
Forum Elder

I discovered Go in highschool... but i played for a month and then abandoned because i couldn`t find some other people to play on a real board with stones.

But i started playing on the internet one week ago when i have found a site for gomoku... it also has go, checkers, chess and many more strategy games. I started playing go and i realy like it. Once you get to know and master some basic tricks you will want to play again and again. Yea, it`s a cool strategy game.
Hollow
Forum Expert

what was this site called??? cos i would like to play chess :lol: i love chess! and give weiqi a try
Whos Hes a Ninja
Nigatsu_Aka
Forum Elder

Hollow wrote:what was this site called??? cos i would like to play chess :lol: i love chess! and give weiqi a try

kurnik.org
Hollow
Forum Expert

thank you very much :mrgreen:
Whos Hes a Ninja
The Xeno
n00b prophet

I played a fair amount of Go about a year-two years ago.
I still have the board and stones in my closet - to spring on the odd friend.

Return to “Sports Section”