Pony Princess
Alliance: MaYHeM
Race: Asgard
ID: 45162
Alternate name(s): Bucephalus
Kishin

Re: im not a racist

Has Roket got a twin? :smt017

Also, in Oms tradition I shall bring up that website we have all come to know and love: Urban Dictionary. I assume uni has already read it from her comments, but have YOU read what Massa means on urban dictionary?
Juliette
Verified
The Queen
Race: Royalty
ID: 4323
Alternate name(s): Cersei Lannister

Jim wrote:Also, in Oms tradition I shall bring up that website we have all come to know and love: Urban Dictionary. I assume uni has already read it from her comments, but have YOU read what Massa means on urban dictionary?
I was familiar with the speech pattern through my study of linguistics.
Also:
Wikipedia wrote:Massa may also refer to:
Master (form of address) in early African American Vernacular English
In simple English: Slavetalk.
Psyko
The Irresistible
ID: 0

After thoroughly reviewing this case and examining all applicable comments and threads on the forum, I will be making the recommendation to the Administrators to remove the warning issued against ANIMAL MOTHER for Abuse/Racism and instead replace it with a verbal warning for Abuse/Racism in his User Notes.

There are a few points which have brought me to this decision.
1) Sometimes a user's intent doesn't change the fact that they violated a rule on this forum. However, when it comes to the picture in ANIMAL MOTHER's signature, I do believe intent does play a part. It was not inherently racist and does not warrant a warning, in my opinion.

2) "Yes massa" is something equated to the dialogue of an American slave in the South. Where I have seen this phrase used before, it has been by a person wishing to convey to another they feel as if they are being treated like a slave. Now, there have also been cases where it has been used to poke fun at uneducated African Americans and the combined effect of speaking as if one is an uneducated slave accused of eating watermelons creates the perception of racism. I don't believe ANIMAL MOTHER intended it that way, but it is a racist comment nonetheless. But it doesn't technically violate the rules of the forum.

3) The rule regarding Abuse/Racism is worded in a way which gives the impression a comment on this forum is only abusive or racist when directed at a member of the community. I'd like to recommend to the staff this be changed to include all racist/abusive comments posted by a user. The rule also states that a polite note from a moderator will be used, but in "serious cases and repeated breaking of the rule will result in the issuing of warning points." This was not a serious case or a repeat offense by ANIMAL MOTHER (including multis).

I feel this whole situation could have been handled with a simple request ANIMAL MOTHER remove the quote from his signature, and possibly a personal PM discussion between the Staff and the User regarding the picture and any perceived racism within the signature as a whole.

~Psyko
愛美
Section Admin of
General and the GC
Juliette
Verified
The Queen
Race: Royalty
ID: 4323
Alternate name(s): Cersei Lannister

I agree.